Sixth Form College rated GOOD across all areas in latest inspection
Rotherham’s only Sixth Form College, Thomas Rotherham College, has been rated GOOD for its overall effectiveness in its most recent Ofsted inspection.
A team of seven Inspectors visited the College for three days from 1st– 3rd October, collecting a wide range of evidence to provide the grading, which included; observing learning sessions, scrutinising learners’ work and examining the College’s own documentation and reports.
Inspectors found the College to be GOOD across all aspects of the Inspection framework to include; The quality of education, Behaviour and attitudes, Personal development, Leadership and management and Education programmes for young people.
The full report which is available to view online at https://reports.ofsted.gov.uk/provider/46/145230 highlighted some excellent practice at the Sixth Form College. It found that students enjoy their time at the College and adopt a positive attitude to learning and demonstrate good behaviour. Students make good progress from their starting points and achieve their qualifications well with a high proportion going on to study at university, or progress to their intended destination.
Amongst the many positive comments from the inspection team, key points highlighted about the effectiveness of the college include:
- Students feel safe and are safe while attending the college.
- Students benefit from a well-planned curriculum and wide range of well delivered courses.
- Students benefit from effective teaching and carry out independent study well.
- Students value the self-confidence that they gain, and they become more independent in their studies and everyday lives. They particularly benefit from the support provided by the staff at college.
- Leaders successfully provide a curriculum that meets the needs of the local community of Rotherham and the surrounding area.
- Teachers use their subject knowledge effectively.
- Teachers challenge students by introducing complex concepts early in their course.
- Teachers ensure students are well prepared for lessons.
- Teachers and pastoral staff provide good support for students to ensure that they enjoy their time at college and make good progress with their studies.
- Students who have additional needs receive effective help and support to enable them to access all of the curriculum and to study alongside their peers.
- Students demonstrate a positive attitude to their studies and behave with respect both in class and around the college.
- Leaders and teachers have high expectations of their students’ behaviour at college and in their communities.
- Leaders and staff provide effective, relevant and up-to-date careers advice and guidance.
- Students are well supported when making university applications, often to highly regarded universities as well as local institutions.
- Thomas Rotherham College is well led.
- Leaders provide effective challenge and support for continuous improvement.
Principal, David Naisbitt said “Everyone at TRC is really pleased with this report, which validates the excellent practice of its teachers and support staff in the College. Staff have worked exceptionally hard to improve practice across all areas of the College following the previous inspection and for that I thank them. However, we will not rest on our laurels and will continue to improve to ensure the College provides the best educational opportunities and progression for the young people of this region. We are extremely proud of the College and its heritage and are working effectively to ensure it improves further for future generations of students.”